The idea that print is dead or dying has been floating around for years and yet here we are today with the modern printing industry alive and thriving. In today’s marketing landscape, digital fatigue has set in, with one in five people surveyed needing “digital detox” and 70% of people admitting they are reducing their consumption of digital media.
Meanwhile, 70% of people are more likely to remember a brand that they see in print vs. online advertising. Print is also seen as a more trusted form of media than online platforms, with social media lagging behind.
Current and emerging technologies have the ability to integrate print and digital marketing into powerful and creative ways, creating a new level of customer engagement. Investment managers who rely on one or the other are missing opportunities to cross link their physical and digital presence
So, what are some strategies to mix print & digital marketing?
Savvy marketers can mix print & digital marketing options in creative ways to speak to financial advisors or consumers if they also sell their products direct. Below are some cross-media marketing strategies you can use on both ends of the spectrum:
- Use QR codes and personalized URLs. QR codes and personalized URLs are easy to implement and track and great for people that are on the go. Each scan and click through can be tracked and provide valuable insight on how, when, and where consumers are connecting with your brand. You can place QR code advertising on everything from marketing content pieces to promotional items.
- Use digital opt-ins in printed materials. If websites, apps, and social media offer convenience, then company or product literature can offer an increased sensory experience. Printed materials engage readers in ways that digital can’t. Through direct mail, you can give readers the option to opt-in to emails, and then include digital opt-ins to other marketing materials.
- Promote your brand with physical goods. Print marketing applies to more than paper. You can print your brand name, URL, and social media links on a variety of low-cost everyday items such as shirts, wristbands, water bottles, bags, pens, and more. You can offer these items as freebies, contest rewards, subscription incentives, etc. Once your products are out there, they can continue to advertise your brand. Financial advisors particularly love getting “goodies” from asset managers.
- Personalize your print materials. Variable printing lets you create custom print marketing solutions from graphics and images to precision embossing and engraving. With data on your audience in hand, you can send personalized letters, greeting cards, and other direct mail content. Combined with social media, variable printing can help you raise top-of-mind awareness and engagement with your audience
- Increase cross-platform knowledge and collaboration throughout your organization. By sharing knowledge and information, print and digital marketing teams can better gauge marketing performance and consumer behavior and devise creative strategies to boost sales. Tighter coordination also helps ensure consistency between print and digital efforts.
The bottom line is about being creative with your marketing initiatives. Most digital marketing initiatives are sent to hundreds if not thousands of people. That doesn’t mean print should be sent to all the same people. You can target and segment your best financial advisors and customers into smaller groups to build deeper brand loyalty and increased business. The best part is that combining print with digital can be very cost effective and provide a great return-on-investment (ROI).
Learn more about Toppan Merrill Connect™ - Our integrated, multi-channel communication and delivery solution allows clients to compose, manage and distribute marketing and regulated communications and content in digital or print format.